INVESTIGATIONS are continuing into a blaze which claimed the lives of three people at a hotel. 

Emergency services were called to the New County Hotel in Perth around 5am on Monday.

Three people and a dog died in the blaze, which more than 60 firefighters were involved in tackling at the incident’s peak. 

Police remained at the hotel on Tuesday and cordons are in place around the area. 

According to The Scotsman, it has emerged that this was the second blaze to hit the hotel in recent years. 

READ MORE: Three people and dog dead after Perth hotel fire

Residents had to be evacuated in August 2016 after a dishwasher caught fire in the kitchen. 

As well as this, police told the newspaper they do not believe that a separate incident at the building – when a car was burned out in the car park in November – was linked to Monday’s incident.  

Tributes poured in from Perthshire politicians as well as First Minister Nicola Sturgeon

Guests had to be evacuated as did two people staying in a neighbouring block of flats. 

Manju Prasanna, from Sri Lanka, fled from the hotel with his wife and four-year-old daughter. 

The National: Officers remained at the scene on TuesdayOfficers remained at the scene on Tuesday (Image: PA)

Speaking to The Courier, the 38-year-old said: “One person was shouting loudly that there’s a fire. I heard the fire alarm go off at 4.30am. 

“I came to my door with my wife and kid. I came out the building and there were flames. My kid was screaming loudly at the time.”

Eleven people were treated at the scene although none needed hospital treatment. Tents which had been put in place by emergency services outside the hotel have been removed, and inside the building investigators in hard hats could be seen.

READ MORE: Perth hotel fire: Politicians express condolences after three die

Perth and Kinross Provost Xander McDade said: “On behalf of all councillors and staff, our thoughts are with the family and friends of the three people who passed away following the fire at the New County Hotel.

“This tragic incident is not the way any of us would want to see 2023 begin and my heartfelt condolences go to everyone impacted by this fire.”

Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have launched a joint investigation into the incident. 

Jason Sharp, the fire service’s area commander, said it was a “very complex incident”.