GLASGOW’S troubled health board has been placed faces extra supervision following the death of two children linked to water contamination.

The Scottish Government said it was placing NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde under “special measures” due to ongoing issues related to infection prevention, management and control at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Stage 4 escalation is imposed when there are “significant risks to delivery, quality, financial performance and support”.

The Government said a dedicated oversight board will be put in place to oversee the hospital, headed up by Professor Fiona McQueen, Scotland’s chief nursing officer, and there will be dedicated support for infection prevention and control.

The move comes after it emerged two children, a 10-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy died after contracting infections at the Royal Hospital for Children but their deaths were not made public. In a statement, Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said: “In light of the ongoing issues around the systems, processes and governance in relation to infection prevention, management and control at the QEUH and the RHC and the associated communication and public engagement issues, I have concluded that further action is necessary to support the board to ensure appropriate governance is in place to increase public confidence in these matters.”

Mother Kimberly Darroch has said she is 100% certain the death of her daughter Milly, who was being treated for cancer, was linked to contaminated water. The mother of the three-year-old boy who died said she is still seeking answers, claiming her son was “extremely healthy” when he was admitted.

Mason Djemat died suddenly in August 2017, weeks before Milly.

The toddler, who suffered from a rare genetic condition, had been treated at one of the wards that were later closed following concerns over the water.

Mason’s mother, Victoria Freeman, said she is disappointed at the response from the authorities, as she seeks answers over the death of the son she “absolutely adored”.

She said she first wrote to the Health Secretary last September and has been disappointed by the response.

She added: “I don’t think that Mason was acknowledged, particularly by her, and I feel that she did not take Mason’s death seriously.”

Freeman also said she got no response from NHS ­Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC), until she went to the hospital and demanded to speak to someone.

The Health Secretary apologised to the families affected as she made a statement to MSPs on Wednesday.

Anas Sarwar, Labour MSP for Glasgow, said: “Jeane Freeman has taken the correct course of action.

An NHSGGC spokesman said: “We are very sorry Ms Freeman feels she has unanswered questions regarding the death of her son, Mason Djemat.

“The case was fully investigated and the outcome shared with the family.”

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde joins NHS Tayside, Highland and Borders, which have all been ­escalated to stage four.